Currently @  ::  Compendium  ::  Business blog  ::  Personal blog  ::  Gallery  ::  by Svein-Magnus Sørensen

December 3, 2006

Christmas market in Brussels

It's closing in on Christmas, and I have just been on my my final weekend trip to Brussels this year. This highlight of this trip was the opening of the annual Christmas Market in downtown Brussels, as is the annual tradition on this first weekend of December. As usual I got on a flight there right after work on Friday, and being tired from a week at work I headed straight to Carina's apartment in Ixelles when I arrived in the evening, leaving the fun of exploring the markets for the next day.

Read on...

December 1, 2006

Just everyday life for a while

After leading the busy life of a globetrotter for a good while now, the past month has been comparatively quiet. It has also been my first taste of mostly everyday life with a job every morning and nothing but dinner on my regular schedule every night.
Thats not to say I haven't been doing anything of course, there's been plenty of stuff to fill my nights, just nothing very out of the ordinary. Most notably my girlfriend Carina has been visiting for more than a week, so we've had several dinners with her family at our place, their place and most notably at the Pakistani restaurant Haveli at Skøyen. A real treat for the tastebuds :-)
Also I've spent a weekend visiting Carina in Brussels, but I wasn't feeling well, so other than a little shopping downtown we spent most of the weekend hanging out in her studio apartment, with me reading Joseph Hellers "Catch-22". Oh the irony... but a good book nonetheless.
Yossarian lives!

Read on...

October 31, 2006

Castles in Luxembourg

For my next trip to Brussels I were taking Friday off and staying until Monday, making it a long weekend, as we were getting a rental-car and driving south to visit the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg, and to eat more waffles of course!
As usual I left with the airport express train directly from work, this time on Thursday afternoon, and as usual the SAS-flight were delayed so it got quite late before I finally arrived. Also as usual I spent the waiting time reading a classic novel, this time having selected the dystopian "Ender's Game" by Orson Scott Card, a very gripping story about war, ethics and human nature.

Read on...

October 15, 2006

Visiting Brussels

This weekend was the annual company fall-excursion, but I was instead going to back to Belgium to visit my girlfriend Carina. Most of the others left the office for the excursion just after lunch on Friday, so there were only a few people besides me there for the rest of the day. However we still managed to gather a small group to have a game of CX Darts, a weekly dart-competition with bottles of wine for the winners, and with so few contestants it was 50/50 odds, so I managed to take home a bottle before having to catch my flight to Brussels.

Read on...

September 23, 2006

Two Weeks in Brussels: Part II

Saturday 16th: Sis visiting and nightlife at Havana club
This semester my sister is studying in Rotterdam, Holland, and as had already been there for a month she wanted to come and visit as soon as we had gotten Carina's apartment in order, so around noon we went down to meet her at Brussels Central station. To show her the sights we did another tour of Grand Place and the surrounding area, but we also checked out Place de St.Catherine and Place de St.Gery where none of us had been before. Also we tried taking the bus back to Carina's place, which due to all the cobblestones was a horribly bumpy ride. We were meeting the Americans and some more BSIS students out a bit later, so after a trip to SuperGB where I stocked up on beer that I would bring back to Norway we readied ourselves to go out and tried a couple of the new beers that I had bought. When ready we got ourselves a cab and went to pick up Keisha (from Bahamas) and then straight to Havana Club where we met up with Mari (from Japan) and a bunch of Americans and had a blast! However the place was too packed so after a while we walked over to see some more bars in the area around Grand Place. There were lots actually, but most were the really awful tourist-trap kinds of places so it was a bad call to go there.

Read on...

September 17, 2006

Two Weeks in Brussels: Part I

And then we headed out on another journey. Early Sunday morning Carina's mom drove us to the airport express train, and not long thereafter we were in the air on our way to Brussels, capital of Europe.
After getting off the plane we started following the exit signs at the airport, and after a while we started wondering how far away it actually was. It turns out that from the most distant gates where the planes from Norway are located, it is nearly a 3 kilometer long walk along rollers to the exit, and along the way you must take escalators up and down a total of 8 floors, so it can easily take half an hour or more just to get out of the airport, not counting the time you have to wait for your luggage! But eventually we did get out, and as the walk had worn us out and we had lots of luggage, we just hailed a cab to take us to the B&B where we would be staying the next couple of days.

Read on...

September 9, 2006

Moving to Oslo

And then it was back on the road again...
Carina and I got up early and caught the morning flight to Oslo were Carina's mom picked us up from the Airport Express train in Asker. After a short stop at their house I had my car kick-started (the battery was flat from beeing unused all summer) and headed to Skøyen to see the apartment that would perhaps be my next home. At 48sqm and quite smartly laid out it is good and spacious and it is located perfectly with less than 10 minutes travel-time both to work and to the city center. On the downside it was not exactly in tip-top shape, but as I will be living by myself for the next year and the rent beeing acceptable it will do for now, so I signed the lease and got the keys.

Read on...

September 5, 2006

Beeing home and visiting Risvær

After a long and tiresome journey it was finally time to unpack my bags and relax in the comforts of home. When dinner time were approaching I were sent to pick up my Grandmother at her house as she was joining us, and also to run some errands on the way as well. Since I would be gone a while Carina joined me and we went shopping a bit for ourselves as well. I also took the opportunity to stop by Kanebogen Mall and say hi to my best friend Tom-Inge who are currently working at Telehuset there. For my welcome-back dinner, my mom had prepared one of my favorite meals: an eastern inspired mango-chicken curry-casserole. Yum!

Read on...

August 30, 2006

Leaving time

And then, all of a sudden on this Sunday morning, summer was over and people started going home to Norway, so it was also the time for goodbyes. My flight were scheduled very early on Monday morning, so to have an easier time getting to the airport then we arranged it so that I drove Carina to the airport when she left at noon on Sunday. In return I got to keep the car for an extra day so I could take myself comfortably to the airport the next morning.
When she had left I went home and started packing up all my own stuff, and despite having bought an extra 120 liter suitcase I almost couldn't fit everything! It must have been those 30 new t-shirts I've gotten myself...

Read on...

August 12, 2006

Goodbye lunch, visiting Berkeley & Diving Point Lobos

After an excessive amount of partying lately it has been getting increasingly harder to get up and go to work in the mornings, but I had to get up this Friday too since summer is almost over and there was going to be a goodbye lunch with the entire company for all of us interns, so I managed to get up and go to work this last day of the week as well. When the day started nearing noon all the employees were rounded up and for once we went out with everyone present, but found that the first choice of restaurant for our lunch had been closed, so we ended up going to the Persian restaurant Shalizaar instead. We ordered served a variety of Kabobs and other really good Persian-style food, plus we got to have some fun with Samir with his glass of "doogh", a very peculiar tasting Persian drink made from yogurt, water, mint, salt and pepper served on ice...

Read on...

July 17, 2006

Sequoia & Kings Canyon National Parks

This weekend it was time for another roadtrip, this time to see more of the Californian national parks and great trees, and perhaps even a redneck or two. We headed out early on friday afternoon with Øystein, Carina, Alex and myself in one car and Martin and Camilla (M's danish girlfriend) in another. We had booked accomodation at the Sequoia Motel in a small town called Three Rivers just outside the Sequoia National Park, about a 5 hour drive from the Bay Area.

Read on...

July 4, 2006

Vegas, baby. Vegas!

We had planned to leave on our roadtrip to Las Vegas at about 9a.m in the morning, but as usual with such plans they didn't quite happen the way we intended. Since both me and Carina were staying at Alex's place from the reception last night we had to get up and find our way back to Mountain View to pack our stuff before we could get on our way, so before everything were in order the clock was nearing 11a.m already, and then we also had to stop at SafeWay to stock up on food an water for the days in the desert.

Read on...

June 26, 2006

San Francisco gay pride weekend!

Weekend once again, and this time it is the San Francisco gay pride weekend! This of course means that we had to go to downtown SF to check out the parties and watch all the crazies, and not to mention to take in the big Pride Parade on sunday morning!

Read on...

June 18, 2006

Daytour to Napa and an real gun show

Yesterday half of the Norwegians here took a road trip north to visit a Napa valley, the most fameous winery-district in America. From Mountain View it is about a two hour drive to the city of Napa, so we arrived there just before noon. There we were advised at a bike rental-place to go a bit further into the valley and rent bikes in the township of a Yountville instead, as it was supposed to be a much nicer and more rural area compared to Napa itself, and that was good advice indeed!

Read on...

June 11, 2006

Diving and an SF hippie festival!

To get out from the crowded bay area Øystein and I went down to from Monterey to go scuba-diving yesterday, and tonight we joined Martin from Øysteins internship company to go see a hippie festival in San Francisco.

Read on...

June 9, 2006

A week of shopping, parties and some work

As the story goes, everything is bigger in the United States. Of course this includes both driving distances, the size of stores and the amounts contained in a pack of food. A direct result of this is that shopping takes us a large amount of time, simply due to the fact that the shops take so long to get to and walk through!

Also it appears that the days here in California won't consist of nearly as much relaxation by the pool as it was in Australia. There's something going on literally *all* the time so I barely even have time to blog!

Read on...

June 4, 2006

Livin' in California!

And now I've finally arrived in the sunshine state!
After a hectic couple of weeks just before leaving Trondheim we managed to get everything packed and my new cellphone did indeed arrive the very same morning that we left, on the 1st of June. That was incredibly lucky, and twice so since NAF in Trondheim didn't manage to fix me up with a 12V->230V power inverter in time, but I still managed to get one from NAF in Drammen, so everything worked out perfectly in the end!

Read on...

April 19, 2006

Easter and a birthday!

As Carina's birthday is in the beginning of April it commonly occurs somewhere during the easter-week, and this year was no exception. So instead of going directly home to Harstad before palm-weekend this year, I stayed until holy monday to be there for the birthday and make it a day to remember for Carina!

Read on...

April 4, 2006

Gathering with Gründerskolen

Last weekend I went back to Oslo again, this time driving with Carina to move lots of her stuff back to Lier. The reason for the trip was an interview at the american embassy to get my student visa as well as a weekend gathering with all of the students going to Gründerskolen (Norwegian School of Entrepreneurship) this year. The interview was scheduled on thursday morning, so Carina and I drove down from Trondheim early on wednesday the 29th of March.

When we left I still had a bit of the flu since eating at Szechuan, so to prevent my allergy to cats from making me worse, and since I had to meet up at the embassy early thursday morning, I spent the nights from wednesday to friday at Marlenes place in Oslo and only stopped shortly in Lier to unload the car and have dinner. In addtition I haven't seen Marlene since we were in Australia together two years ago, so it was nice to finally get a chance to catch up again too.

Read on...

February 25, 2006

Dry-suit diving during Carnival

Since I got back to Trondheim almost two years ago I've been aching to do some more diving, but I preferred to do a course in dry-suit diving first to get a feel of how cold-water diving in Norway is different from doing it in the tropics. However as I'm a busy guy I've been unable to attend any of the courses held by DG until now, but today I've finally been in the water again! (But damn winter diving is cold!)

Read on...

February 9, 2006

Strategy and work

This weekend Start NTNU held its biannual strategic gathering with all its members, and this time the destination was Fjellværøy, a small island far out in the Trondheimsfjord. Here we stayed at a set of cabins where we had lots of fun and party, and some work with the future goals of Start NTNU on Saturday.

The rest of my time lately has been spent working at all my other various tasks. I've just started writing my masters thesis, i'm writing a business plan for Venture Cup, we're trying to get sponsors for Gründerskolen and I've still got both my part-time job at Lefdal and my tasks with Start NTNU and NVG, so I'm quite busy these days. Hopefully things will calm down later this semester, but I doubt it...

January 17, 2006

Back from Mapalomas

Since both Carina and I were going to be working during most of the christmas holidays we managed to find a cheap december-offer for a one-week trip to Maspalomas at Gran Canaria with Star Tour, on Saturday the 7th of January direct from Trondheim airport with Air Europa. After a long and hard semester and busy christmas holidays we really wanted to get away on a break somewhere exotic, and at 3000 NOK per person including a good hotel, this trip was a bargain!

Read on...

November 22, 2005

BedEx '05

Just before last weekend, me and a group of 60 other students of communications technology and computer science went to Oslo with Abakus, our student socitety, to visit a group of companies that are interested in hiring us when we graduate.

Read on...

October 18, 2005

Nidar Sjokoladefabrikk

Today Carina and I went on a tour of the local chocolate factory, Nidar, along with the resident assitants at the student village where we live. We had been looking forward to this for weeks as we lost out on the previous trip do to a screwup on their part, but now we finally got there!

However it didn't even come close to fulfilling our expecations...

Read on...

October 14, 2005

Elkjøp Academy

My current employer Lefdal Elektromarket is a member of the multinational Elkjøp group and as such all of us working there has the oppourtunity to attend various courses and conferences organized by the main organization. Since the Elkjøp-group is quite a large corporation they have a seperate brand for all such activities called the Elkjøp Academy.

Read on...

September 30, 2005

Autumn passed by

And just like that, we're done with September and autumn is almost over. Like this summer I haven't had much time to blog now either... Maybe it has something to do with having a girlfriend? Seems like lots of couples slowly fade away from an active online existence after they move in together, but that's just life I guess.

Read on...

August 6, 2005

Another summer gone by

Woops. It seems like the entire summer has passed by me and I haven't even had the time to blog once! Not that there has been a lot to write about since we got back from Rome anyways, as I've mostly only been working close to full-time and just relaxing in our apartment on my few days off. Few of the things on my ToDo list for the summer has been achieved as well, but stuff like editing video from Australia and sorting mp3's isn't really time-critical to get done so I'll just put it off until next summer or something :-)

Read on...

June 22, 2005

5 days in the Eternal City

After a stressy couple of weeks with exams and moving Carina and I could finally relax on flight SK4713 to Rome! All was set for five hot days with plenty of sights and enjoyment in Italy, but there were almost too many sights to behold. Despite all the splendour it simply got boring to walk through room after room of artworks impressive beyond description, so we squeezed in a day at the beach as well :-)

And if anyone wonders why it is called the Eternal City, I think it must be because you need an eternal amount of patience to see all the sights and if you want to go anywhere using public transportation. Get the full story below.

Pictures and relevant links will be added later, so check back if you are interested!

Read on...

March 19, 2005

New website and design

I have now created and published an all new website for the domain. I thought this blog was a bit to personal to be the first thing potential employers found on my site, so I've made one with a lot more professional information about myself. This blog will still be updated at, and the entries from my year abroad will still be found at

I will also finish a new design for my blog shortly, so expect it to be published just after easter! I'm going home tomorrow to spend a week at our cabin with my family, where we'll go cross-country-skiing and just relax. No internet, no computers, no cable-tv or fancy stereosystems. Just us and mother nature, and the basic necessities to avoid beeing uncomfortable.
But tonight it is Alexanders birthday, so there'll be lots of fun and party! Hopefully I'll be able get up tomorrow morning so I don't miss my flight. :-)

March 13, 2005

Snowboarding @ Geilo

With my life beeing less than eventful lately I found it a great relief that my planned trip to Geilo was due this week. My mother attends an annual conference at Dr.Holms hotel at Geilo, and usually invites me and my sister to come along and stay with her so we can hit the slopes while she is attending lectures. I travelled on the night-train from Trondheim Monday night, which gave me most of Tuesday plus all of Wednesday and Thursday at Geilo before returning and arriving back in Trondheim at 7a.m Friday morning. Plenty of time for some great days out in the slopes with my Snowboard. The feeling of sliding down a mountainside on the steel edges of a board with the cold crisp air rushing by is just exhilarating! You've just got to try it for yourself!

Read on...

February 14, 2005

Strategic planning in Åre

This weekend it was time for the biannual Strategic planning weekend for Start NTNU, and this time the location was Åre, the largest alpine ski-resort in Sweden.

It's tradition for Start NTNU to have these gatherings just after new members have been accepted so that they can quickly get to know everybody and feel like part of the team. Also we do a lot of important planning regarding our organization and activity for the next semester as it is a lot easier and more efficient to do it when everybody is focused on the task and together in one place.

Read on...

September 28, 2004

Driving for hours and hours and ...

Bergen logo
While I was in Australia my sister took lots of my stuff with her to Bergen where she has started studying economics. Also she just turned 20 (Happy B-day!) and were to have a party this weekend, so I took the oppourtunity to drive down there and pick up all my things, join in on the party, and visit some friends I haven' seen in a long time.

Read on...

August 22, 2004

Moving around, and back again.

Our apartment block at Bergheim AmfiStudying hard mixed with some relaxation at the movies hopefully paid off, as I'm confident that I'll pass the mathematics exam this time. A short lunchbreak after the exam was all the time I took before going home to Harstad once again.

Because I've been away for a year and this course kept me extremely busy just now that I got back there are plenty of people I hadn't been able to meet yet, so I set course for Andenes to visit Rikke and her husband for a day before I had to start packing for Trondheim. I've never been out at Andøya before so while it was shot it was still an interesting trip outside the delight of hanging out with old friends. A day well spent, but there was no rest to be had as I had to return home and pack up all the things I needed to bring with me for the move south. I got it all packed up in time and all of last sunday was spent driving the 900 kilometers from Harstad to Trondheim.

Upon arrival I crashed at Alexanders place for a night until Realf could get back into town and hand me the keys to my new place, a room in his spacious apartment at Bergheim. It's a bit expensive but a really really nice place to live. The last week has been spent getting everything in order, inlcuding buying a new bed, desk, shelves and a chair, getting my student-loan money for this semester and signing up for the classes I'll be taking. In between I've even had some time to talk with Carina who is back in Australia, and to meet up with some of the friends I have that are still studying in Trondheim. Judging from the going so far I think I'm really going to enjoy myself as a student in Trondheim this time around as well :-)

July 9, 2004


JAL-747.jpgFinally home!
After a way to early awakening, a 12 hour flight from Narita to Frankfurt, 3 more hours to Oslo and another 2 hours to Harstad I've finally arrived at home.
Spending the last hours in Tokyo repacking our stuff, getting barely 6 hours of sleep and then travelling for more than 20 hours is quite exhausting. And due to jetlag I still couldn't sleep any more than 6 hours last night! *yawn*
It's all a lot of work and one suitcase is still at Gardemoen, and a big box with some stuff is left in Brisbane, which Carina will send to me when she returns there, so it will be quite a while until I have all my stuff safely in hand.

Read on...

July 7, 2004

Shop till you drop... and then some!

Japan day 5 to 7 - Tõkyõ City
After having found and booked a more suitable hotel for our next two nights in Tokyo, we walked from Shin-Tokyo to Ginza, the most high-class and expensive shopping district in the city. This is also the location of the Sony Showroom where all the up and coming electronic devices from Sony and partners are presented. I didn't see any new devices there besides a range of solid-state MP3-players and the new AIBO's, neither of which is revolutionary, but it might not be season for new devices right now as I think most of them is released during autumn. After walking around a bit in Ginza and having dinner at a resturant we located a shop selling genuine Katana swords as I really wanted to get one as a souvenir, but the prices were a bit steeper than I expected. Most were at 200.000 yen or above, which is an order of magnitude more than I had hoped for, and the owner informed me that one needs a police permit to export real swords from Japan so there went that plan. I obviously had to settle for a replica-sword instead, but the shop carried few of those so I decided to put it off for another time.

Read on...

July 5, 2004

Castles, shrines and a bad hotel

Japan day 3 and 4 - Himeji, Kyoto and Tokyo
After a good nights sleep at at Toyoko Inn were they even had free internet in all the rooms(!) we boarded the Shinkansen again headed back towards Tokyo. Our first stop en-route was Himeji, one of Japans old castle-towns from the middle ages. Here we visited Himeji-castle which differs from the other places we visisted by still retaining its original interiour as well as the exteriour. It was very interesting to see a japanese castle in its original form and the view from the top-floor would have been amazing had it not been for limited visibility caused by the thin fog that appeared to cover all of Japan constantly.

Read on...

July 2, 2004

In the land of sake and sushi!

Japan Day 1 and 2 - Osaka and Hiroshima
After getting up early and spending the next 9 hours on Japan Airlines morning flight to Tokyo me and Carina arrived at Narita Airport tired and confused. Lots of people, mostly strange signs everywhere but intersped with some numbers and a few words in english, we tried finding our way out of the airport and deciding what to do. It was getting late and our original plan of heading to Hiroshima straight away appeared to be impossible as we were told that no night-trains were operating. Using or JR Railpasses we booked tickes for Osaka instead, hoping to find somewhere to stay once we got there.

Read on...

April 24, 2004

The busy-weeks are almost over

After returning from New Zealand last friday I knew I had a hectic schedule for the next two weeks, but I didn't know how hectic until I got the flu as well...
There was both an advanced divers course, two assignments, two mid-term exams, lots of project work and my new job to take care of. Plenty more than I appreciated, but now I'm almost done with everything!

For those awaiting a travelentry from New Zealand, I promise it'll be up soon! Due to my workload I haven't had time to finish it yet, but it's on its way and will have heaps of pictures! It's about half-done, so expect it online in a couple of days.

Read on...

April 16, 2004

Kiwi Experience

Outlook over TimaruThe week after easter was a no-lecture week at Uni's down here so that people could have some time to unwind or put in extra work. I choose the first one by going away to New Zealand for 10 days with Carina, a norwegian journalism-student I've met down here. It was the most beautiful trip ever!

We flew in to Christchurch where we got a rental car to drive around the South-Island, and the changes and views of the landscape was just amazing! At first sight it reminded us of Norway, then of Southern England, Scotland, France, and Norway again, before entering an area not unlike the area around Sydney. Despite the similarities, each area also had its own very unique properties which are hard to describe. Most amazing is the fact that all of these landscapes are squeezed together in a relatively small area, so you can drive between them in just a few hours!

Read on...

January 22, 2004

4WD on Fraser Island

75-mile beachAfter returning from Airlie Beach we spent the evening repacking and turned in early. Monday morning I went with my dad over to a 4WD-hire company and picked up a Toyota Landcruiser. No problems with lack of space in this one, so we just threw everything in the back and set off to Noosa Heads for our first stop on the way to Fraser Island, the worlds largest sand-island.

Read on...

January 18, 2004

Sailing the Whitsundays

Hayman IslandAnd then we're once again back in Brisbane to repack for our next adventure. We returned from Airlie Beach this afternoon, and have spent the day by our pool and preparing to pick up a 4x4 tomorrow morning so we can head off to Fraser Island and Noosa Heads for the final trip with my family this time around.
The last 5 days have been wonderful, despite some stormy rainshowers and fog on occasion. Due to this we didn't get to either Whitehaven Beach or Blue Pearl Bay as originally planned, but we anchored up somewhere else instead that were just as scenic.

Read on...

January 13, 2004

Back from Byron

Outside the Moo-Moo CafèThe last couple of days I've been sampling beaches with my family. We got a Holden Commodore V6 rental and drove out to Kurrumbin Animal Sanctuary, I had to let them see some roo's and koalas while they were visiting down under. It was great even if I had seen it all before, a small but still very good place to see the Australian wild-life.
We then continued down the Pacific Coast Highway to Byron Bay, stopping only at the Moo-Moo Cafè, a small village that have made cows their speciality, down to painting the light-poles along the road in black and white cow-checkers. They serve an excellent frozen banana that is covered with chocolate, if you can't get to the area make some yourselves and try it. Its yumyum! :-)

Read on...

January 5, 2004

New Years in Sydney

Happy New Year everyone!
I'm just back from Sydney where I watched the fireworks with my parents outside the Operahouse and then travelled around with them to take in all the major sights in the area. It definetly was a New Years Eve out of the ordinary, and the Sydney beaches were really nice despite the water beeing freezing!
Read on to get the full story! (Finally updated 2003.01.14!)

Read on...

December 9, 2003

Devilless Tasmania

The western highwayAnd I'm back again!
The last week have been quite refreshing in many ways. First of all it was wonderful to drive a car after spending many carless months in Brissie, secondly our trip to Tasmania gave me a nice change of pace from the slacking here and thirdly it was -cold- there with nighttime lows around 12°C and even the daytime highs rarely above 25°C.
We got to see most of the island during our 7 days there, but it would have been nice with a couple more days so we could have relaxed a bit in the nicer locations. We also missed out on several potentially interesting sights and locations due to limited time, amongst them we didn't get to see a wild Tasmanian Devil, but regardless of this we had a great time! Read on to get the whole story :)

Read on...

October 5, 2003

One Fish Two Fish...

Everyone at the 'On the Edge' catamaran... red fish, blue fish, and the occasional dingo.

A trip by Extreme Adventures starring Svein, Gary, Darren, Daron, Jessica, Jeanne, Bina, Michele, Katherine, Katie, Kate, Laura, Laurie, and last but not least; our excellent tourguide Nathan!

Here I finally present the full traveldiary from the most awesome springbreak-adventure ever! In short this was the trip of the four B's:
Busses, Boats, Bathing and Booze!!

Read on...

October 1, 2003

Extreme days!

The last couple of days have been completely amazing and the most actionpacked and wonderful of the entire trip. Just during the last 48 hours we have done no less than all of the following:

  • Been living at the 5-star Cairns Colonial Resort
  • Scubadived at 7 meters for 30 minutes on the outer Great Barrier Reef.
  • Snorkeled and freedived for hours around the same waters.
  • Performed a tandem skydive from 10.000 feet above Cairns with 30 seconds free fall!
  • Bungeejumped off a 54 meter high tower out in the rainforest.
  • Been whitewater-rafting down the category 4 Tully River.
  • Partied excessively every night at the Woolshed, whereafter we have been doing nightly swims in the pools off the artificial beaches at the resort.

So how is this for a springbreak-vacation? :-D
But unfortuanatly everything is now past, tonight we are having a good-bye party as it is the last day of the trip and we have to leave all our newfound friends *snif* We'll all try our best to keep in touch!
Love you people <3

September 27, 2003

Having a GREAT time!

I'm now sitting a an internet cafe in Airlie Beach, halfway through the most amazing vacation ever! Everything is so unbelievably great that even if the trip ended now it would still be worth the $1400... and we still got 5 more days to go!!!

So far we've been on a booze-cruise out of Harvey Bay, driven across Fraser Island in a off-road bus, been sailing around and diving at the inner parts of the barrier reef in the closest thing you can get to paradise: The Withsundays, which is also where we stayed at an amazing beach-resort called the Crocodile Club. Lots of parties, a fun and friendly gang of people, heaps of adventure and having had totally awesome weather all the time with calm seas and a sunny 30-35°C has made this the best days of my life!

The snake in paradise is that I have gotten a hefty sunburn, but that was to be expected :-)

July 26, 2003

A Rainforest Tour

At the first stopLast weekend the three danish girls asked us if we wanted to join them on a tour to the Australian rainforest, and as we didn't have any other plans we naturally accepted. And I'm really glad we did, because this was a really *great* trip! The trip went to Springbrook National Park with Rob's Rainforest Excursions in a minibus. Besides ourselves and the four danes, we were accompanied by Florian from Germany, Hans from Norway and two tourists from Bangkok. Our first stop was at a local resturant to pick up some pre-ordered sandwiches before going into Springbrook. We later returned here for drinks and a spectacular birdview. At Springbrook, we first had cake and tea at a picnic area before walking into the forest...

Read on...

July 12, 2003

Surfers Paradise and Currumbin

The Crowd @ Surfers Paradise beachToday I went on another excursion by International Student Services, this time by bus to Surfers Paradise and the Currumbin Wildlife Sanctuary on the Gold Coast. This is definitively a trip I will recommend, especially visiting Currumbin which is a zoo displaying the range of natural Australian wildlife and fauna.

Read on...

July 8, 2003

Exploring Brisbane with Laurie

svein-laurie.jpgAfter an excellent party at the river-cruise last night, I got up around 10 this morning to meet Laurie at South-Brisbane trainstation, and after a short stop at the apartment to drop of her stuff we went out to take in the city. We started by walking towards QUT through the Southbank Parklands, which together with the Botanic Gardens are absolutely beautiful on sunny days like today.

Read on...

June 30, 2003

On top, down under.

Finally arrived in Brisbane!
As planned I arrived in Australia yesterday morning, even due to a few problems at Singapore Changi Airport where they could not locate my australian visa in their database and couldn't let me on the plane without one. But after a telex to the australian embassy it all worked out fine, and they even forgot to charge me for the overweight luggage due to the confusion :)

Read on...

June 28, 2003

A hot day for a walk

Singapore, day 4.
Today the cellphone under my pillow woke me up even earlier than normal. It was Synnøve from Norway on her way home after a party, and she hadn't thought about the time-difference (+6 hours). But its just as well that I got up early as I needed to go over to Master Pagoda Tailor to try on my new suit, and it fit perfectly! It was both neat and really comfortable to wear. :)

Read on...

June 27, 2003

Orchard Road and Swisshôtel

Singapore, day 3.
As is becoming usual on this trip, I was up really early, mostly because we only have thin blankets to cover ourself with and the bedroom is freezing at night due to an aircondition-system on overdrive. But it is nice to get up early as I get a lot more out of each day then. This morning I took the underground MRT-trains (Mass Rapid Transport) to Orchard Road which is known as the big Singaporian shopping street. Its nicely designed with lots of small parks in between great shopping malls lining the entire street.

Read on...

June 26, 2003

Nightsafari and a tailored suit.

Singapore, day 2.
Me in my new suit and sunglassesThe best with beeing in a tropical county is the availibility of so many fresh fruits. Even 7-eleven carries pineapplejuice, dried mango, and lots of other goodies! In addition the city is filled with small resturants and bakeries serving lots of exotic food. Also here in Singapore it is really clean everywhere and all the signs are in english, which makes things a lot easier for people like me who are not fluent in neither Mandarin nor Malay. And besides, almost everyone speaks some english so making yourself understood is not a problem, even if "a bottle of water" was served as "hot water" in a glass...

Read on...

June 25, 2003

Destination Singapore

The Inncrowd common roomAnd so my travels are well on the way. After a nice but somewhat long planeride with British Airways from London I've finally arrived in Sinagpore. They say its a cool day as the weather is cloudy, but I still think its more than hot enough here... *puh*

Read on...

June 24, 2003

And the journey begins...

The heat is on and I'm finally on my way!
I arrived in Oslo yesterday and spent a nice Midsummers-eve with Aleksander and Marte, after which I and Marte wanted to go out on the town. We never got that far tho, mostly due to getting bad directions and that our sense of direction was thrown of track by alcohol. Because of this we didn't get to the metro-station in time, and ended up walking around through some forests and residental areas for about two hours before getting a taxi back to Aleksanders apartment. It should also be mentioned that the rain was pouring down the entire tiime so we were both cold and completely soaked when we got back, which made a hot shower before bedtime a wonderful neccessity.

So I didn't get any time on the town in Oslo, but it still was a really nice evening. And in a few hours I'll be going to London, and then Singapore. I just hope it doesn't rain there...

All rights reserved, Svein-Magnus Sørensen ©2004